FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do your charge a security deposit?
No, we charge a non-refundable reservation fee instead which is, depending on your credit score, up to 1.5x the rent amount. We pull Experian to evaluate credit.
Are there any other move-in fees?
Only a $175 move-in fee which goes towards the cost of setting you up in our software and other cost affiliated with a resident move-in.
How do I enter a Maintenance Order?
We receive maintenance orders 24 hours a day. For best customer service and in accordance with The Tennessee Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, Maintenance Request must be in writing. The easiest way to accomplish this is to log into your portal and enter the request here. If you are having problems logging into your portal, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org. That email will go to several different individuals within our office on their desktop computer and cell phones.
How soon do you handle maintenance request?
Our goal is ASAP as we realize maintenance can be more than just an inconvenience, but a total disruption of your life. Some maintenance request that come in late Friday may not be able to be completed until Monday because supply houses containing the part to fix your home are closed on the weekend. Also, some repairs could be delay if a certain part is not available locally. In the summer and winter time, we do see a spike in AC and Heat calls. When we get your request, we immediately start working on your work order; although we have several vendors to handle these issues, even they get backed up too and it is possible to be without these services for 2 to 3 days. We suggest being proactive by having a window unit on stand by or heating device to keep your comfortable until we can get your heating or air issue resolved.
What do you consider an emergency?
Most items are not an emergency where we need to be immediately contacted as there is only so much we can do after hours. If there is a fire, call the fire department, then email or your Tenant Relations Representative r the following morning. If your pipes are busted, go the street or master shut off valve location in the house to turn the water off and email us in the AM.
What are the qualifications & process to rent your homes? (Link to that page here)
Qualifications: See our Qualifications page
- All applications are done online ($40 non-refundable application fee per applicants and anyone over 18 years old needs to be on application). To apply, go HERE, click on the property you want to apply. In the upper right corner, click on the Apply Now button
- You can view the home with one of our in Hospitality Managers or through 24 hour self-showing access through www.MemphisRentalHomes.com
- Approvals can be done within 24-48 hours assuming all documentation is received once the application is submitted online
- Once approved, applicants must place the Non-refundable reservation fee which is half the first month’s rent or $500 whichever is greater. Doing this takes the property off the market. The Reservation fee is the only time we accept in-office payments.
- Once the reservation fee is placed, you have 30 days from the reservation fee to sign the lease and move in the home. After 30 days, the home goes back on the market
We need all of the following documents to process your application
- Social security card
- Drivers license or State ID
- 1 month of consecutive and most recent paystubs. If your income is not consistent (for example, tipped employees, Ride Share, etc), you may provide your 2 most recent bank statements. If you are starting a new job, an offer letter from your employer on company letter head with your managers work phone number will be required. Documentation of any additional income, SSI, alimony, child support or any other benefits must be provided
- An active MLGW bill with a zero balance or no carry over balance. If you do not have an MLGW bill in your name, provide an MLGW clearance letter. You can call MLGW with this request.
- Rental ledger for the full duration of your current residency. Or any rental history you can provide.
I applied for a home, paid an application fee and know that home is no longer available. Do I get a refund of my application fee?
Because our approval software has a cost associated with running an application, application fees are non-refundable. To avoid this scenario, we strongly suggest having all your documentation ready and calling 901-620-6787 ext. 0 and emailing email@example.com to make sure the home is still available before applying. Even if we are processing other applications, there is no guarantee those would be approved. Thus why it is extremely important to have all your documentation ready to submit at the time you apply for your home.
Are your homes available for section 8?
No, at this time, our homes are not approved for section 8 vouchers.
When is rent due?
Rent is always due on the 1st of the month. Rent is considered late on the 2nd, however, there is a grace period that allows you to pay by close of business on the 5th. After the 5th, there will be a 10% late fee on the balance of your current month of rent. If our office is closed due to inclement weather during the 1st to the 5th, the grace period is extended the next day our office is open.
What if I am short or can’t meet my rental obligation?
Contact your Portfolio Manager ASAP and communicate when you are going to pay your payment. If we do not here from you, unfortunately we have to move forward with filing for eviction. This is absolutely something we do not want to do. Avoid this scenario by simply communicating.
How do I pay rent?
- Online through your portal – this is the preferred method as it creates a instant confirmation that your rent has been paid.
- Mailing to P.O. Box 17462, Memphis, TN 38187. If you mail your rent to us and it does not arrive to our office by the 5th, your rent will be considered late and a 10% late fee payment will be charged
- Rent Track, this option allows you to build credit while paying rent. Download this document for more information. This also creates an online confirmation for you once your payment is made
- Our Property Management software has kiosk located all over the city where you can conveniently make your rental payment close to your home
- In office payments are not allowed nor is payments placed in our physical address mailbox
What forms of payment do you take?
• Money order
• Cashiers Checks
• Online payments
• NO CASH IS ACCEPTED OR IN OFFICE PAYMENTS
What are your office hours?
Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday. If you are wanting to view houses, we have agents available 7 days a week. Sunday is my appointment only. We also offer self-showing on most homes that allows you to tour a home without a CB Properties representative.
Who is my point of contact for customer service?
During the lease signing, you will be introduced to your Tenant Relations Representative. If you have a simple question, email through your portal or to his/her specific email address. If you need to speak with your Tenant Relations For best customer service, we suggest emailing her or using the call schedule app you were given to set up a specific time for a call. This avoids incoming and returned calls to be missed.
What length lease do you accept?
Our minimum lease for single family homes is 24 months. If you need shorter, an additional amount to the advertised rent may be levied.
Can I extend my lease on a month to month basis?
Yes. An additional $100 a month will be added to your rental amount.
I need to move out early, what is your procedure?
Your lease is a binding contract, however, if you need to break your lease, we require a 30 day written notice through your portal. The penalty for breaking your lease is an additional payment on your lease for the month after you move out. That penalty must be received prior to move out. Not paying your lease break fee will result in late fees, legal fees, collection fees and credit reporting
Do you allow pets?
- All pets must be disclosed on the application and approved by CB Properties
- Maximum of 2 pets allowed in a property
- No pets over 50 lbs or aggressive breeds
- Each pet requires a $250 non-refundable pet fee and $25 a month per pet